According to the Center for Disease Control (CDC), about 75 percent of American women suffer from vaginal yeast infection at least once in their lifetime. Overgrowth of yeast happens when imbalance in the body systems occur. Let us take a deeper look at what is a yeast infection, its causes, and some natural yet very effective remedies that could fight this infection.
What is Yeast Infection?
Yeast infection, or candidiasis, is an infection caused by a group of fungi or microscopic yeast. Candida has more than 20 species, the most common of which is the Candida albicans.
These fungi can be found on all surfaces of our body and on certain conditions, particularly in warm and moist areas, they can multiply rapidly and cause serious infections. Examples these infections include vaginal candida infections, skin and diaper rash, nailbed infections, and thrush.
Causes of Candida
Vaginal yeast infections is caused by the increase of yeast inside the vagina, usually more than the amount of normal bacteria present in it. In cases like this, candida is triggered by prescribed antibiotics against urinary tract or respiratory infection, which eliminate normal bacteria.
As a result, yeasts will reproduce, causing irritation on affected areas, especially on the genitals. Recurring yeast infections, on the other hand, may be caused by underlying conditions, such as diabetes, or a result of taking oral contraceptives.
Why Use Natural Cures For Yeast Infection?
Pharmaceuticals can help cure this problem. However, they can cause harmful side effects to some people. Fortunately these days, there are many natural cures for yeast infections, helping the body rid off this irritating condition.
Here are some natural but very effective cures for candida.
- Apple Cider Vinegar – Apple cider vinegar is a tried-and-tested natural cures for yeast infections since time immemorial. Mix apple cider vinegar with a little water and apply the mixture to the infected area. Since vinegar is acidic and can sting really bad, be sure to dilute it properly. On good tip to alleviate the itching is to add garlic to the mixture.
- Black Walnut – Black walnut is considered one of the most powerful remedies for female yeast infections. It contains potent antiseptic, anti-parasitic, and anti-fungal properties that treat yeast overgrowth. Black walnut also increases oxygen in the blood, stabilizes sugar levels and eliminates fat and toxins in the system. Aside from vaginitis, black walnut is used in treating thrush, jock itch, and other fungal and parasitic infections. The husk of the black walnut has high levels of iodine that fights bacterial infection.
- Oregano Oil – This highly potent essential oil is used as home remedy against almost all types of yeast infections. It can be used either internally or externally and has a warming and stimulating effect. Studies show that oregano oil contains high amounts of carvacrol and thymol. These properties are known for their anti-fungal effects that regulate the growth of yeast. Furthermore, oregano contains high concentrate of vitamins A and C, flavonoids, oleanolic acid and ursolic acid.
- Plain Unsweetened Yogurt – A lot of women have discovered plain unsweetened yogurt as a very useful natural remedy against vaginal yeast infections. For best results, dip a tampon into the yogurt and insert it into the vagina. Leave the tampon for one to two hours. Yogurt has high levels of good bacteria that can help regulate the growth of yeast-causing bacteria.
- Neem Leaf – This herb is a highly effective Ayurvedic remedy known for its powerful anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties. Neem is a bitter herb containing high amounts of azadiractine and nimbin alkaloids. It is used for centuries as a potent skin and blood cleanser and is very effective in controlling bacteria that causes candida overgrowth. However, pregnant women should avoid taking this herb.
There are a variety of natural cures for yeast infections but if you don’t want to suffer from the side-effects that conventional medications bring, why not opt for natural cures?
There are a lot of them that you can choose from, giving you the promise of getting relief from the discomforts and health risks of candida.